Throughout this wet winter I've been very busy unblocking my customers Storm Water Drains in various different locations through out the state. Some of the jobs I have attended to have been commercial properties located in the City and other domestic properties in the Adelaide Hills.
I often get asked “how can I avoid Blocked Storm Water Drains?”
Below are a few handy tips:
· Installing gutter guard on your roof gutters to limit leaves and sticks entering your drains.
· Install a leaf diverter on your down pipes allowing the leaves to fall to the ground rather than clogging up your drains.
· Make sure that any grates installed in your pavers and concrete are not exposed to large amounts of dirt and sand run off from gardens and paths. If they are and this cannot be avoided look at installing filters on these grates to stop this fine material from entering your drains.
· If you’re installing a new storm water drain try to ensure that the whole drain has grade/fall out to the street, allowing for any debris to move through the drain freely, rather than settling in the drain over time.
· If you notice your storm water lines are draining slowly have them cleaned out sooner rather than later, chances are it will take a lot less time to resolve.
· Get your storm water drains regularly (once per year) hydro jetted to ensure large build-up of debris in the drains does not occur.
By following these tips it can help to avoid over flowing storm water drains at your house during a huge storm which can cause large amounts of damage. In some cases the costs may not covered by your insurance company.
If your blocked storm water pipes are left un-attended for too long and regular maintenance is not performed it can be very costly to resolve, a section of the drain may need to be replaced and depending on its location it can be very invasive.
I hope that you find these tips handy and it helps you keep the flow running through your storm water lines around Adelaide, have a great week.
CALL NOW: 0429 361 819
Aaron Stewart owns and works in the business of Mayfair Plumbing & Gas Fitting from there offices now based in Adelaide, South Australia. Aaron and his team of licensed plumbers and design consultants are passionate about there work. In this blog they will bring you plumbing and gas tips gathered from around the globe over 20 plus years of experiences in the many different fields of plumbing. If you are looking for a plumbing firm who can do everything from design, construct, project management and scheduled on site maintenance contact the Mayfair Plumbing Group.